South American Festival at Bondi

13-Feb-2011

A cold blast of wind whipped through the open courtyard on the cloudy, gray afternoon. We hurried across to the stage. There we found some music blaring and a man shouting down a microphone at the small crowd who were bouncing a giant inflatable ball around. I reassured Aaron that there was also Mexican food and dance lessons, and suggested we take a look around. We found some over-priced under-quality vendors and an indoor room filled with people huddling together sheltering from the wind outside. I was a little disappointed that this place charged $20 a head entrance fee and was so far not living up to the standards of the free concerts I had been to in Sydney. I wondered if we should turn back, but we were meeting my new friend Lulu and her boyfriend, Anthony.

I have made friends all over the world, and sometimes met people in odd places, but the story of how I met Lulu has to be one of the most surprising! A week after I arrived in Sydney I went into the city to open a bank account. The lady at the bank reception was not very helpful and told me to use one of their computers. Both were in use, so I took a seat in the waiting area in the hope that these computers would have something more to offer than what I had online at home. Whilst I was waiting I was joined by a friendly Mexican lady who was also there to open an account. I was probably showing a timid new-comer face since she proceeded to reassure me about settling in to Sydney. She told me how when she arrived she didn't know anyone and didn't speak English as well as she does now, but now she has been here a few years and never wants to leave. Before leaving the bank Lulu gave me her details and invited me to lunch the following day!


On the paper she had written her address followed by “/2.30”. At 12.45 I rang the doorbell to her apartment, since my bus was a little late. I couldn't understand why she was so surprised to see me till I discovered people weren't supposed to start arriving till 2.30pm! However Lulu would not turn me away and invited me to shop and cook with her. We really hit it off and had a great time chatting. It actually worked out well for me that we got to know each-other a bit before the other guests arrived. After a mishap of forgetting some ingredients we had a South American-style late start to dinner (about 5pm). When the other guests asked how we knew each-other I'm sure they must have thought she was mad inviting a stranger she met in the bank! But I had a great time and they could also sympathise with being new since they were also immigrants (except Anthony).

Lulu and I have both been busy since then, but we kept in touch and met up tonight for the South American festival. Lulu and Anthony arrived shortly after Aaron and I, just as a live band came onto the stage. The band were good so the atmosphere picked up. We started dancing and having a good time. It was great that Lulu recognised many of the songs and enthusiastically explained what some of them meant. Next we had a salsa lesson and then a tango lesson. Once we had danced all we could we headed out in search of dinner. Battling against the wind we made our way along the shore-front to an appropriately themed Bondi Burrito's and ended the night with some tasty wraps.




Comments

sly said…
What a lovely story! I love random meetings--sometimes they are the best!
Anonymous said…
You are brilliant at settling in where ever you go!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton