What? Winter? Can't be

Since arriving in Sydney a few months ago the weather has been amazingly temperate. Apart from the first blazing week in February temperatures have been in a Goldilockistan just right state of not too hot and not too cold. On sunny days it's been comfortable enough to swim yet even in the heat of the day there's respite in the shade.

Blackheath in the Blue Mountains
As we marched into May I begin picking up tell tale signs that the state was beginning to change. An excursion to the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney in mid April brought us a preview of fall colors and brisk climate. Autumn soon followed us out of the mountains and settled in the lowlands. The early morning cool has become crisp. The refreshing bay breezes have turned bracing. The tank tops so prevalent a few weeks ago have been replaced with hoodies and cardigans.

Even though I'm fully aware that the seasons in the southern hemisphere run counter to those in the northern hemisphere there was this little part of me in denial of the approaching winter. Dodging one winter had lulled me into debating whether it even existed at all. And even it it did it couldn't be that bad, right? I could probably get away with my rain coat and my beleaguered sport sandals with socks. Plus, Christmas is eight months away. It can't be winter without Christmas. And so with these foolish arguments bounding around in my head, I kept wearing my summer clothes and trying to ignore that I was cold.
Sport sandals with socks: Not the best winter wear

Last week, Jean and I dug in and did some winter clothes shopping. It wasn't quite as painful as I thought and we came away with some good stuff including a couple of jackets. We also got jeans. Jean pointed out that neither of us have worn denim in almost a year. I have to admit that it feels pretty nice. Now I just need some boots.



Comments

sly said…
Any idea how severe Sydney winters are? Do they get snow?
Anonymous said…
The climates sounds great. I don't think you will be making snowmen in the Australian winter. Just enjoy wearing jeans again!
sly said…
I thought I had already asked this, but I don't see my comment. Do you know how severe the winters are? Do they usually have snow?
Aaron said…
We've received mixed reports. Some say you we won't need more then a light jacket. Others make it sound more chilly. There will be snow in the mountains but not in Sydney.

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton