Orientation Day!!

After walking up and down the road I eventually found the building where orientation was being held. I couldn't help but think it was somewhat ironic that it was in a difficult place to find. I entered the reception area and noticed at least ten other people sitting on various couches dotted around the room. At first I was a little apprehensive about not knowing anyone there or what the morning would include. I noticed that most people in the room were sat slightly apart and not talking to each other. However I guessed most people were waiting for the same seminar as me and since a lot of us were there to meet new people I tried to overcome my nervousness. I introduced myself to a lady with a friendly appearance, she appeared pleased I initiated a conversation.

After a short while we were ushered into the training room and directed to take seats clustered in small groups around tables. When the first ice-breaker was introduced I almost groaned thinking, oh how clinched. We were given a grid of conditions and had to find people who satisfied particular criteria, i.e. first name begins with J, works in the science department, is an only child etc. The winner was the first person to complete a row/column/diagonal of names in the grid. We returned to the room adjacent to the training room and mingled around. The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed than when I had arrived. Apparently the incentive/excuse to interact was all that most people needed to initiate conversation. I sometimes wonder at the protocols in our society. For example if your out on a hike in the countryside  it's polite say hello to others, however when commuting in the city no one communicates. I have often wondered how people would react if I said hello to everyone I passed on my journey into work!

Following the morning workshop we were given a tour of the campus by a flamboyant history lecturer.
The buildings around the quadrangle were the foundations of the University and are reminiscent of Oxford and Cambridge. Originally the architects used this style to bring a historic atmosphere to the campus.

As you can see the law building is one of the newer features, with some intriguing modern designs. You might notice a strange deserted appearance in these photos since they were taken during the student holidays.

Victoria Park is next to the campus and houses a pond and an outdoor swimming pool.

On the Darlington Campus (the south edge of the university campus) the Institute Building stands proud and impressive with it's beautiful white archways.

And behind the Institute Building stands a slightly less elegant looking structure.
The Storie Dixon Building ...where I work.

Getting to speak to other new people at the orientation, who were also still finding their bearings was very reassuring. I made a couple of friends who I've kept up with since then. I was glad to know I wasn't the only one concerned about whether I would live up to my new employers expectations or whether the uni would live up to mine. Since then I'm very grateful to say that the department I work in is incredibly appreciative and supportive. People are always thanking me for the work I do! Not only that, but I'm also finding the work very interesting and learning a lot from it. It's great!

A few weeks after my orientation I was beginning to feel more settled in and decided it was time to organise a work social. So one Friday evening Aaron and I headed across town to the university campus to meet my colleges. When we arrived they had already cracked out the champers at the bar in the new law building. I asked what the celebration was – apparently “It's Friday” was a sufficient reason! I've since discovered sparkling wine is the drink of choice with my colleges and costs about the same as regular wine, so we've enjoyed a couple more Friday evening's in a similar style since.

Comments

sly said…
I am so glad you found a nice workplace with people who appreciate you!
Anonymous said…
The Victoria Park on your campus sounds a little larger than the Victoria park in Cardiff. Does it have a band stand?

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton