A year from our engagement and we're still up in the mountains...only this time in Laos

1st November 2010



Waterfall #2.5 – A place with no name


Upstream from Tad Lo, past the last hotel is a hidden, narrow worn trail that runs alongside the river. A short way down the track Aaron and I found a wooden ladder leading down a steep embankment to some boulders. As we climbed down onto the rocks we could see a stunning waterfall gushing down. There were no signs so we don't know what this waterfall was named. I'm guessing it might be Tad Hang, as our guidebook mentions this is within hiking distance. I thought this waterfall looked even more picturesque than the famous Tad Lo, or perhaps it was just more romantic since it was in the secluded woods where we were the only onlookers. Today is one year from our engagement, a lot has happened since then, but Aaron and I found ourselves up in the mountains again! Only this time in the Bolaven Plateau, Laos, instead of on top of Guadalupe peak, Texas.


Aaron and I wanted to do some trekking, but failing to acquire any maps we found the search for trails difficult. The track we found in the morning petered out at a village and with the risk of unexploded ordnance we dare not leave the well worn paths. Back at the bike Aaron gave me a brief lesson on driving a scooter. Nervous and sweaty palmed I gave it go and to my surprise quite enjoyed it! Back on the road, with Aaron driving, we searched for more promising hikes, but to no avail. We didn't find any more waterfalls today, but we did find a slightly less touristy water feature; we saw a dam and hydroelectric plant – not the usual sightseeing! Past the dam we came to a village where the road dead ended. The startled locals who were not used to seeing tourists smiled and called out “sabadee” (hello) excitedly!


We tried to take a cross country short cut to Sekong, but when the dirt road led back to the main road I said “I recognise that sign from yesterday!” The sun was hot in the sky now, after some more bumpy dirt tracks and seeing the same sign a second time that day I suggested to Aaron we take the main tarmac road to Sekong. About 75 km later we arrived at our destination and searched out a place to eat. We found a lively looking restaurant/bar only to discover to my disappointment that all they served was bbq and beer. A friendly customer who spoke the most English in the joint took us to a nearby noodle shop and explained to the lady there what we wanted (well I guess what I wanted, I'm sure Aaron could have survived on bbq and beer, but instead he kept me company at the noodle shop-what a guy...swoon!)

Comments

sly said…
Good to hear of Aaron's gentlemanly side! And I think the Guadalupe mountains would be vastly improved with a few waterfalls (or water Of ANY kind!)
Unknown said…
The 'ordnance' in our English 'ordnance survey maps' has a new meaning to me now!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton