The Loop: Day 2 – Mud and Mayhem on the road to Kuan Kham

21 October 2010

Jean and I have winnowed our packs down considerably for this motorcycle trip. I'm down to the following:
shorts
trousers
shirts(2)
underwear(2)
pair of socks
handkerchiefs(2)
belt
sunglasses
flashlight
journal
notebook
playing cards
multipurpose tool
toiletries

Makes for easy packing and unpacking.

It was a rough, rough road from Thalang to Laksao. Jean and I left Thalang after breakfast at half past eight. The road started rocky. We went slowly along the mountain ridge not encountering much traffic.

Towards late morning we passed through our first village since Thalang. The road soon took us winding down into the low lands.

The Last third of the way to Laksao was a muddy mess. I nearly killed the engine in one wet section when I slid into the muck past the axle. I was able to gun it and get out.

I adopted the tactic at potential trouble spots of pulling over and waiting for a local to come by, observing their path through the mud and trying to emulate it myself. Even though the locals usually rolled through fully loaded with a couple of people and cargo Jean chose to circumnavigate the muddy pits on foot walking through the adjoining fields.


We made it to Laksao at half past one. Mr. Ku's predictions were correct. 62 kilometers in five hours. Jean, the bike and I were all pretty well covered with mud. Outside Laksao we found a stream to wash off in.

The road onto to Kuon Kham was paved with winding roads and precipitous climbs. We soon found ourselves back in the cool of the mountains. We rolled at our guesthouse just before dark. Had dinner and found that by half past seven we were completely exhausted.

More photos from day 2 here.

Comments

I love reading your blog! What amazing adventures you've been on! We miss you guys, and think of you often!
sly said…
I was looking through the pictures and thinking that you sure aren't in the Texas Hill Country anymore, when I came on the picture of El Capitan! Of course the next picture showed the jungle in front of your El Capitan. Great trip!
Unknown said…
Are you sure this is fun?

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton