Vistas and Vomit in Vashisht


9th - 12th August 2010

When my family and friends heard that Aaron and I would be travelling to India they warned me about 'when' I would get food poisoning, not 'if'. This made me afraid to eat or drink anything the day I arrived in India, but I soon realised that this wasn't going to be healthy either. I had a couple of brief bouts of illness in Greece and in Agra, but in both instances my body dealt with it quickly and I was back to normal within an hour or two. My first real sickness came in Vashisht on day twelve in India. It turned out that I hadn't just been suffering travel sickness on the bus journey to Manali. Most of our first day in Vashisht I spent in the bathroom or asleep and most of the next day feeling pretty weak as I didn't feel like eating anything. But that's probably as much information as you want about that! I was pleased however that it passed quiet quickly and if I was going to be sick anywhere I was glad it was while we were in a clean, comfortable hotel with an incredible view. I spent much of the time lying in bed gazing out of the windows which spanned almost the whole of one wall and displayed a gorgeous view of a vast green valley with a river gushing far down below.



We only had three nights in Vashist since Aaron and I needed to travel back to Mumbai for a flight to Sri Lanka and Meredith wanted to get in some beach time in Goa before returning to China. There are a lot of activities for thrill-seekers in the Himalayas, Aaron and Meredith got to go paragliding, but otherwise our adventures were rained off. One downfall of coming in the monsoon season, however the price of the hotel was a lot less expensive, only Rs 500 (about $10) a night. On reflection this was probably the best hotel we have stayed in so far this trip, the view from the balcony on a clear day was unbeatable. While we were in Vashisht Meredith and Aaron made friends with some Indians from Delhi who kept us entertained, but more about that in Aaron's blog. Vashist is a place I would really like to visit again.

Note: The first photo is of the view from our hotel balcony, which unfortunately we forgot to take a picture of until our last day when it had misted over. The other photos are from a cafe in Vashist, with a view of the same valley, though I think our hotel actually had a better vantage point (but maybe I'm just biased).

Comments

sly said…
I hope you do get to go back someday!
Unknown said…
Glad that you missed the rocks when you were dunked in the river!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton