Passing through...

Last week we got an email from my sister with the following subject header:

I'm coming to Sydney!!!...for four hours‏

Meredith, who is currently living in China, did say she was going to find a way to come see us in Australia. And when my sister says she's going to meet you in some far flung corner of the globe I've discovered it's a good idea to believe her (See also Georgia[twice], India , and China). In her email she explained that she would be helping organize a food and wine festival and Fiji and would have a 4 hour layover Monday morning in Sydney en route to the island.

I got the day off and rolled up to the arrival gate just about when her plane was touching down. First, I finished the chapter I had been reading on the train to the airport. Then I framed a few shots of the arrival gate. A bored little girl in her red Chinese new year's costume doing gymnastics on the hand rail would be perfect in the background I finally decided. I found a good vantage point and then I waited. People trickled down the arrival ramp. There were tearful reunions, much hugging, and lots of other bored children. 

As I waited a thought began to nag at me. Hadn't I heard something about a change in the immigration policy recently. Something about a visa. An announcement from the overhead speakers requesting my attention interrupted my thought. Just as the friendly voice was reminding me not to leave my baggage unattended a man pushing a trolley stacked with suitcases higher than his head stumbled sending the cases thudding to the ground. The pile up blocked the flow of passengers down the arrival ramp. As a nervous airport attendant looked on the man wedged the suitcases precariously back on to the trolley in Jenga-like fashion and the queue began moving again. A little girl next to me who had been fidgeting madly broke away from her mom and bolted into the arrival area wrapping her arms around the legs of a young woman lugging two suitcases and then instantly recoiling as if not sure what to do next. Then my phone rang.

It was Meredith. Yes, she would not be allowed in as she did not have a tourist visa. However, one of the immigration officials told her there was a window between the food court in the departure lounge and the boarding area. I walked up stairs and found the said window in the back of the food court. As verbal communication was out to due to the window's sound proofing we improvised by writing in our notebooks and pressing our message against the glass for the other to read.

Here's a some transcript from my side of the conversation:

- And I thought be extorted (for a visa) out of $4 at the Cambodian border was bad.
 
- I just thought about the visa as I was waiting in arrivals. I thought you might be able to talk your way in. Unfortunately, Australia is very bureaucratic and being tall and blonde isn't quite the novelty here as in other places
- MIA? Where did it(her luggage) go missing?

- It(her luggage) wasn't transferred onto your flight?

- Yeah, black (color of her present outfit) on the beach won't be so much fun?

- Oh Trabezon (referring to the first time Meredith came to Georgia and missed her flight to Trabezon, Turkey where I had arranged for my Georgian friend to pick her up). Well, at least it was me and not my Georgian proxy. I remember him being worried about being able to identify you. Trust me I said, you'll know.

- Were you skyping from the internet connection here?

- They (M&Ms) are still pretty expensive here though. I know I had quite a bit of sticker shock.

- Not such a bad prison. Smells like pizza on my side.

I have over six pages of conversation in my notebook. After an hour and a half we gave air hugs, waved goodbye and Meredith went off in search of her lost luggage.




Comments

M and C said…
How frustrating for both of you!! at least the airport had a place where you could see each other.
sly said…
Another travel tale for your autobiographies!! Thanks for the pictures.
Meredith said…
some lines from my side:

-was negotiating on for a while but thought the contract was dead in the water, suddenly approved 6 days ago

- but they only told me 6 days ago! packing frenzy!

-organizing a chef's convention- 4 day- education forums: daytime, entertainment: night

-freelance stuff but everyone agreed Fiji was WAY more awesome & let me go

-no worries! though quite a shock having just left biggest bureaucracy in the world, thought I was free and clear --> Amer issues Aus visas at the airport! where's the reciprocal love?

- is "nanny" an Aussie word? ninny?

-though a very nice woman told me about this lovely window here...my bag is still MIA, I really don't want to wear black on the beach!

-BTW, Malaysia Airlines gives free beer!

- Like PRISON!

- pretty neutral (smell) over here- lots of flight announcements and the sounds of little wheels spinning

-was going to pull some money and buy some things but M&Ms are $8!

-half a million miles before that baby gives out! (talking about driving the ole' minivan that Aaron and Paul took to Alaska 10 yrs ago from Sydney to Brisbane)

-There are a lot of white people in this airport! It's almost visually jarring to see so much blonde hair!

-One pen down, let's see how long glitter purple pen lasts!

-The CH still love Obama- there's a gay club in Shanghai named after him --> Obama Club

- It's next door to RichBaby

-I LOVE GUILLOTINE! (the card game)

-It says the gate is open, will have to go soon to track down my back

- tell...WRITE...Jean hello for me!

- BYE DOO!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton