Rain or shine...

... the hike must go on. My in-laws are avid walkers and being of good British disposition not adverse to a little inclement weather. That's why a few days after our arrival in Cardiff on a windy and drizzly day we found ourselves driving into the Welsh countryside. As rain pelted the windshield my mother-in-law pointed out places in the overcast skies where she thought it was lightening up. Fair-weatherer that I am I had trouble finding any differentiation in the roiling gray mat that spanned from horizon to horizon.

A half hour out of Cardiff we pulled down the narrow drive to the park. The road wove into a valley surrounded by lush green hills flecked with sheep. At the end of the drive we found a largely empty car park. A light rain fell and the clouds remained quite implacable. We began to get our gear together. Accessorizing for hiking in Britain is markedly different then for say, central Texas.

Gearing up
The first and most important item is the rain jacket. You may forget everything, including your American Express but never, ever leave home (in the UK) without a rain jacket. On our travels Jean and I often had debates over whether it was better to pack a rain jacket or an umbrella. I argued that in hot, humid climates the latter is far better because donning a jacket in the heat you'll soon be as soaked as you would be if you didn't wear it at all. However, in the cool climes of the United Kingdom where it can be gusty nothing beats a good shroud of waterproofed nylon.

Other necessaries include a pair of over trousers. As the name implies these are trousers (pants) that one wears over other trousers. Like your jacket these will be made of some sort of waterproof synthetic material. On your feet you wear a sturdy pair of hiking boots sporting the little silver "Goretex" tag implying their moisture impervious nature. My footwear options were still limited to my Teva sport sandals that had been my regular companions over the past year. I dismissed my wool socks as they would soon be soggy anyway.

Gaiters add an extra layer of protection making a seal between the trouser leg and sock protecting the wearer from moisture incursion when he/she cuts a swath through tall, wet grass. A waterproof hat (typically outlandish in appearance) completes the outfit leaving the wearer better protected from the elements then some of the early astronauts.

Stored in a rucksack are other essentials including: water, an extra fleece (in case it gets colder), sunscreen (in case it gets sunny), hummus sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, Cadbury chocolate and tea.

Doing their tree impressions
Forty-five minutes later after being transformed into water shedding machines we set off down a well-worn track along a creek. A few other bundled up individuals were out and about enjoying the park. Soon we turned away from the water way and began climbing into the hills. The aforementioned sandwiches and chocolate were enjoyed overlooking the misty valley. After lunch, as Jean and her parents took a more circuitous route I did my best Hawkeye impersonation scampering straight up the hillside. I pushed over a rise and startled a couple of sheep. Soon becoming winded I slowed my scampering to a  fast trudge and skirted the rise staying parallel with my companions below.

After they vanished into a wood I continued my slow run to the crest line. Flushed and out of breath I plopped down in the soft grass and admired the rolling landscape. I leaned back pushing back on the heels of my palms and closed my eyes. Drawing a deep breath I marveled at the fresh air and the quiet whisper of the wind through the grass. Opening my eyes I found a blue patch growing out of the gray above. The clouds seemed to be in quick retreat giving way to the sun. As the first rays of the day swept over me I thought, "What a good day for a hike."

A staged candid shot
Rest/Gear readjustment break

Comments

sly said…
That looks glorious. (It was 106 degrees here today--and not even offically summer yet!) Did this hike end at a pub?
Aaron said…
Strangely no it didn't. We made up for that in future rambles.
Jean said…
It did have a tearoom though with hot drinks and yummy cakes!
Anonymous said…
I must point out that if you had abandoned your computer and joined us on our walk the day before, you would have got sunburn instead of webbed feet!
M and C

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton