Sleeping and Eating in Jalgoan

29th July - 2nd August 2010

On the train to Jalgaon Aaron and I searched through the lonely planet for 'budget' accommodation suggestions and came across the 'Hotel Plaza' which had double rooms from Rs350 (which is about $7). I was cautious about the price, 'how could anything so cheap be decent?' I thought, but when we reached Jalgoan I was pleasantly surprised! This was the best hotel we stayed in in India, in fact probably the best value hotel I've ever stayed in. After being shown a selection of rooms we picked a room for Rs550 per night, inc tax. It was spotlessly clean, white, with a simple, modern interior and silvery grey satin sheets. However the best aspect of our stay at the hotel was the owner. He was always ensuring we were 100% satisfied, gave us recommendations for food & entertainment and ensured our room stayed spotless and our belongings secure.

In Jalgoan we ate some delicious curries, including one night when we left the hotel without a recommendation and spotted a place called '100% Pure Vegetarian Restaurant' which sounded ideal to me! We went in and sat down and wondered why we weren't handed a menu. It turned out there was only one option available at this restaurant, thali. We were given a steel dish each that was surrounded by many small saucers each containing different curry sauces. We were then given as many chapatis (small round bread like) as we could eat and amazingly enough it was all for Rs45 (about $1)!

Comments

sly said…
Yum. That sounds delicious, like an appetizer plate. Lots of different flavors to try. Have you been able to get full yet, Jean?
Unknown said…
Are the curries similar to those you have had in the UK ? Stronger? Tastier? Do you want us to post you some pasta?
M and D
Jean said…
hmmm not completely full yet!

Some of the curries are similar to the UK. Korma is still my favourite, but there is lots else. I didn't see poppadoms on the menu in the north. They also have chapati, parrata and roti (all bread like things to go with curry) that I don't remember seeing much at the places I went in the UK, but maybe I just didn't try them, in the UK I mostly had rice and nan with my curry.

Pasta would be great, I do miss it! Today I had my first really good pasta in over two months. We found this cafe in Kochi that is not at all Indian.
Jean said…
Mango chutney is different here. In the UK it's very sweet by here it's spicy. I like the Uk stuff better!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester

Roundwood Building Workshop

Apartment Homesteading: Growing Sprouts in a Milk/Juice Carton